Home › Safety
In an emergency, call 911
BioCARS operates within the safety regulations of The University of Chicago, the Department of Energy, Argonne National Laboratory and the APS itself, supplemented where appropriate by guidelines from other agencies or safety authorities. The Executive Director of CARS is responsible for the safe operation of the CARS beamlines and the associated experimental facilities.
- Visitors who have not attended the APS User Orientation must be escorted whenever they are in hazardous areas such as chemical laboratories or radiologically controlled areas (experimental areas).
- All visitors must wear a visitor dosimeter or be part of a tour with a group dosimeter, while visiting radiologically controlled areas.
- Without proper training visitors are not allowed in the laser controlled areas while lasers are in use.
- APS Safety Information - APS experiment safety envelopes, training requirements, reference documents, user training courses, and experimental safety forms.
- Integrated Safety Management (ISM) at Argonne - Documents and descriptions for Argonne's ISM process.
- ANL ES&H Manual - ANL Environment, Safety and Health Manual (Argonne access only): chapters and table of contents, searchable by chapter title, revision date, and full text.
- CARS Safety Plan: (PDF) or (Word)